But gender identity isn't one of them! My new ward members, though, may have a different idea based on my last two Sundays...
Yesterday our Sacrament meeting was priesthood-themed. The two youth speakers were both priests who talked about the priesthood. Then the ward chorister (who is a man) got up and gave a little mini-talk on the meaning of the song "Come, All Ye Sons of God." It was nice. Then he explained how we were going to sing it (first verse unison, then parts, then crescendo the last verse, etc.) I thought that sounded great! So he finished his talk and walked to the music stand. The organist started into it, and everyone stood up. I was feeling glad for the chance to stretch my legs when Bowman whispered, "You're standing up too, huh?" I glanced over my shoulder at the full chapel behind me, where sure enough, only men were standing! How was I supposed to know it was only for men?? I support the priesthood!
After they finished the song ("A thousand years in Zion!" was appropriately crescendoed, without my added enthusiasm) I furiously whispered to Bowman how in the world everyone else knew it was only men? He said, "It was in the program." I spread out my hands to show that I had no program to reference. Then he said, "And the guy announced it right before we sang." Oh, well, then, I guess... ah, no excuse.
So couple that with the fact that last week between sacrament meeting and Sunday School I went to the restroom-- the MEN'S restroom (which to my great relief was empty after I discovered my mistake, except that I still had to walk back out into a crowded hallway!!) I wouldn't be surprised if my bishop schedules an interview to discuss some of the "concerns" he has about my personal identity.
5 comments:
Hahaha!
you are so funny! I love that all of those things happened in the same day! what are the odds? I'll just start calling you Stephen!
Holy crap Stephanie Ohsiek... Mitchell... I have "accidentally" stumbled across your blog.
It is... HILARIOUS! be warned... I may comment again later on in life
-Jarom
Oh my gosh! I would have died...and that is so something I would have done. I heart you.
Ha, ha...I used the men's restroom once. This summer when Chris and I did a 27hr relay race. It was around 7am after getting about 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I went in the empty bathroom, for whatever reason didn't notice the URINALS and proceeded straight to the stalls. As I was coming out there was Chris....peeing in the urinal!!! Don't worry I didn't see anything. When he came out I was like, "oops, sorry about that". He was like "what?". He didn't even notice I had been in the same bathroom! So no harm no foul right?
Post a Comment