1. You're running errands, and
2. It's hot, and
3. It's between 2:00 and 4:00 pm.
When these three come together I usually find myself shouting "Praise to the Sonics! Let's get us some slushessss!!!" And quick as a whip I stop at Sonic and get a deliciously cold slushy drink for only 50 cents because some genius had the idea to make the 2 to 4 time period half-off happy hour! Oh, how I love the Sonic Trifecta.
![]() |
| Google gave me the picture from here, which had a little religious tie-in to the slushes. They 're good on so many levels. |
Except, in Virginia, there are no Sonics. I know. (That's actually false, there are some... but the closest is 40 miles away! 40 miles!) Why they don't have them on all the street corners is beyond me. People love this place! As evidenced by the extremely long drive-thru lines at every Sonic I've ever been to! But sadly , none around these parts.
So my need for cold, fruity relief was growing by the day, when I made a landmark discovery: I own a really awesome blender, and some strawberries, and some limes. The convenience isn't the same, and the rush of the Trifecta isn't there, but when you have no Sonic, you have no Sonic, know what I'm saying? And to my delight, it turned out pretty good! Pretty darn good!
Does it taste the same as a Lemon Berry RealFruit Slush? No. But is it equally delish and satisfying to my palate? Yes!
Here's my basic recipe. It's pretty flexible though, and I usually change it based on what I have on hand.
Strawberry Limeade (makes 2 servings)
5-6 frozen strawberries (I buy a few pounds whenever they're on sale, wash them, take off the stems, and freeze them. They're perfect for this kind of thing)
juice of 1 lime (lemons are also good)
2 T. sugar (it depends on how sweet your strawberries are and how sweet you like the final product. I add more sometimes... ok, most of the time, but I usually start out with this much and add more after blending it up if it still needs some)
1 c. water (more or less depending on how thick you like it and how much liquid your blender needs to get going)
4 ice cubes
Blend it up! Pour it into a cup, close your eyes, and pretend you're on your way home from Costco in the blazing heat at 3:30, because it's most satisfying that way. :)

1 comment:
Um, I'm making this. Like asap! Thanks for sharing. :)!
Post a Comment