Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why I do what I do

There was a point when I thought I was actually starting to "get" what I was doing with taking care of one baby. And the next day, Danny was born. Haha. And we went back to square one. Square zero, actually. Some days I think I will never be a normal person again. And by normal I mean having my hair done before lunchtime, or getting my laundry smoothly from the dryer back to the dresser without the three day pit-stop in the living room, that type of thing. But as I have seen this news article popping up all over Facebook (literally, ALL OVER... I think almost every mom-friend I have has posted this link), I am realizing, maybe I'm normal right now! This article is a funny reminder to me that it's "normal" not to have it all together all the time. Even mostly together most of the time. The only discouraging thing is that I'm pretty sure the author of the article has kids that are older than mine... which means that my hope for things getting easier with every year is likely a fantasy for now. But it's all right! I really do like being the mom of these two cute kids. Here are some of the things that crack me up and make our days fun and happy...

Rayna would wear this dress 24 hours a day if she was in charge of her own life. Good thing I'm the one in charge, mwahaha. She thinks "getting dressed" means putting on a dress (makes sense), so I have to catch myself every morning and instead suggest that we "put on her clothes" so that this dress isn't worn to tatters by February. She told me she was going to the store to get apples, and she did all the accessorizing herself. Notice my shoes that she's wearing on the wrong feet?

She's getting good at putting her own shoes on, but she hasn't figured out the left vs. right thing yet. So you'd think that with two options, she'd get them on the correct feet 50% of the time, right?



Shoes on the wrong feet every single time, and I don't get it! Must be easier to do it that way.

Rayna got this doll stroller for Christmas, but who wants to put dolls it in when you've got a real live baby around? They were both so happy with this setup.

Danny is the sweetest, smiliest baby I know. :) He puts up with a lot, but he's a baby, so what's he gonna do about it? We just love him!




Oh, the red eyes... sometimes I think I am the only person left on earth who still uses a regular old point and shoot camera.    And to add insult to injury, Picnik failed me on this one and refused to correct the red eyes. Just take my word for it, he's got beautiful gray eyes in real life.
The boy adores his bumbo, but he's not the only one... Rayna thinks it's hers too. One morning I found her sitting on the couch in her throne, drinking juice, trying to watch a movie on the kindle, and probably feeling like queen of the world.



 We had some white powdered donuts around (I don't eat the things...I prefer my broken resolutions covered in chocolate) and Rayna loved eating the "white cupcakes." Cute little white lips :)
 



 This makes me laugh every time, but I'm not sure why it's so funny... Danny gets so cozy in the baby carrier, falling asleep with his head held straight up because of all the layers of padding. Something about it says "Randy" from A Christmas Story I think.

Even though it's tough some days, these kids are cute, and they're mine, and I love them. :)

4 comments:

Meagan Mitchell said...

I love this post Steph! I've heard time and time again from multiple women that just when you start to feel like you have something figured out in motherhood...something changes! It sure keeps life interesting, never many dull moments! I found this quote in Teaching, No Greater Call and love it!

"The responsibilities of motherhood can seem overwhelming. It is important to remember that the Lord does not expect mothers to be perfect or to achieve an unrealistic ideal standard of homemaking. Yet He does expect them to recognize an honor their divine role and to humbly do their best."

I'm finally starting to realize that everyone's "best" is different because we all have different talents and skills. Just because one Mom can do this, this, this, and this without batting an eye...doesn't mean that I should be able to do the same as effortlessly, especially when I'm not as experienced. We can learn so much from each other and we just have to always remember to do our best and honor our divine role as a Mom.

Kimber said...

Ahh haha! Chocolate broken resolutions-love it. And a kindle ... FIRE?? Awesome. Little Danny is a gem!!

Wendy said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog post. :) It just made me smile this morning! Oh, and I thought I already commented on this post and would look like a total weirdy commenting again, but it looks like I got sidetracked and didn't. Loved the article. And I hear you on the laundry thing. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure laundry is evil. Thanks for the link to that article too. Your kids are adorable. I'm glad we're blogging friends. :)

Nora said...

Amen! That's all I've gotta say. Amen. Tell Rayna that Reagan misses her!