
So this weekend Bowman and I watched the best movie I've ever seen! I can't believe I've never watched or appreciated "It's a Wonderful Life!" Where have I been since 1947? I remember my parents watching it when I was little, and telling me about how great and profound and funny it is, but I think I was dissuaded by the black-and-whiteness of it or something, because I was never interested. And now I realize that I was seriously missing out!
Bowman's friend and his wife invited us over to watch it, so we postponed the Christmas movie we were watching at the time. It's okay, because the one we were already watching was not really measuring up... It's called "The Christmas Child" and we rented it because 1. it was the only decent movie at the Redbox at Smith's, and 2. it had a picture of a pregnant woman and Christmas lights on the front and I couldn't resist the possibility of it having a potentially romantic storyline. We hardly ever watch good chick flicks. But anyway, we were half-way through and realizing it was only mediocre, when we got the invitation to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" so we picked up and left. And I'm so glad we did!
The whole time we were watching it I was going through a cycle of emotions: cracking up, feeling sad, feeling happy, cracking up, feeling sad... What good movie doesn't encourage emotional rollercoasters? So, in honor of my new favorite movie, I am listing some of my favorite lines... And if you've seen it (and I realize now that the majority of normal people have), you can appreciate the hilarity of them:
George: Did you hear that Annie?
Annie: I heard it... 'bout time one of you lunkheads said it!
George (to the kid at the dance): Oh, why don't you stop annoying people!
Violet: I like him.
Mary: You like every boy!
Violet: What's wrong with that?
George (to Mary): Say brainless, don't you know where coconuts come from?
Man on the porch: Why don't you kiss her?
George: How's that?
Man: I said why don't you kiss her instead of talkin' her to death?
George: Want me to kiss her huh?
Man: Ah, youth is wasted on the wrong people...
George: I'll show you some kissin' that'll put hair back on your head!
George: Wait a minute... What am I doing? This is a very interesting situation... A man doesn't get in a situation like this every day...
Those are some of my favorites, from my new favorite movie of all time.
Hee haw, and Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment